Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sharp Contrast

Sometimes in life I am struck by sharp contrast in the world and that is exactly what happened to me today.

1st event today- A student in the middle of his Algebra work tells me that he wishes that he had two parents. He wants to be able to go into the show on the Disney channel where you can pick out your mom like she is in a vending machine. I just wanted to hug him and let him know that I know exactly how he feels. I also wanted to share with him the small bits of wisdom I have gained since I was his age and let him know that one day he might understand why his mom is the way she is and come to love her exactly that way.

2nd event today - I am waiting at a salon in Dallas surrounded by 5 or so high school girls all in private school uniforms and their mothers. They are waiting at the salon to get their eyebrows waxed, hair highlight and acrylic nails filled. As I start to eavesdrop on their conversation, I notice a tone that each young girl has with her mother. They are complaining about one thing or another ad demanding things of their mothers in between searching the internet on their iphones.

Depending on the person you are asking all of these teenagers behaviors would be considered quite normal. But these kids were coming from such different places and expressing their desires for the day.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

loulou08You are loved so deeply.